Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Creation of Mountain Truckers: A Bling Artist View

When I decided to create the painting “Mountain Truckers”, I wanted to do something to show my appreciation for the millions of men and women who get behind the wheel to transport the goods that make our lives easier everyday. Statistics show that truckers are responsible for transporting 80% of our economy and log in millions of millions each year to get those goods to us.
As I traveled down the highway from Memphis, Tennessee to San Antonio, Texas in 2003, I decided to conduct a little research on my own to see how many eighteen wheelers I could count during our tow day journey.  On the first day of my research, I started at 9:00 am and stopped at 7:00 pm that same day. By then, I had already reached 3,000 and that was enough counting for me once we reached Dallas.

The next day, I would start up the count at 8:00 am leaving Dallas.  At noon, I had already counted 1,000 rigs and we still had a way to go before we would reach our final destination. after stopping for gas, restroom breaks  and resting periods, we finally reached San Antonio around 9:00 pm. I had already stopped counting at 7:00 pm  because it was getting dark and my eyesight was preventing me from finishing up the count. Already, I had made it to 6,000.  The next morning I would tally up my count  and found that I counted 9,000 trucks on the highway and that was from them heading east on the interstate.
I had also counted 2 jackknifed trucks and that was surprising itself for I had never witness a eighteen wheeler laying on its side before. I usually see it on television and that was as close I was able to see them. 
I also had truck drivers in my family involving my dad who passed away when I was a teenager and my stepdad who was taking us to San Antonio that year.
It is usually a tradition for the oldest son to follow in the footsteps of his dad and take an interest in his dad’s career. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to do so due to my vision. So, I became a visually impaired artist and begin taking an interest in  painting and still feel like I  am carrying on the tradition in a different mode.

Uniquewanders Art Gallery and Studios- Online Art Gallery  http://www.uniquewanders.com

No comments:

Post a Comment