Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Making of Evening Tow

One day I decided to look over a print from the original art piece titled "Evening Tow" . As I continued to look over the print, I begin to take notice and appreciate all the details I had placed into the painting and remembered the time it took me to work on the piece in three different state over the course of some 3 years.. First, in Little Rock AR in 2005, and later in Austin, TX  in 2006 and finally in Memphis , TN of 2007.


During the course of working on "Evening Tow", I would have a concept in mind of how I wanted to depict the small river town and start the process of implementing the layout only to possess a dissatisfaction on the results and start the process all over again. I would work on the painting for a few days and set it aside to create a new painting and once I have an idea of the town theme come to mind, I would start working on the painting again. It would take me a series of some 3 to 4 tries before I would have a satisfied rendering.


"Evening Tow" is part of the Little River Town Series, in recognizing the importance of keeping small towns that line the Mississippi River alive and consuming a deep appreciation on the beauty of these communities. These painting are intended to keep the "American Spirit" preserved. It is important to know that many of these communities have yet to be discovered. It is also important to note that many of these small towns thrive off the Mighty Mississippi River through commerce and tourism. They are enriched with tradition and history.


"Evening Tow" was submitted in the American Printing House for the Bling "2009 Insight Art Competition for Blind and Visually Impaired Artists", an international art competition held each year in Louisville, KY. The painting placed 3rd out of some 400+ entries and it was my very first time entering the competition for some 17 yearsin existence. Gicless will be coming out soon on this painting with a limited edition of 100.



No comments:

Post a Comment